Congratulations to the North Team for winning the 2015 Women’s Golf Association of California North-South State Team Championship! For the first time in the event’s history, the matches were tied at the end of play. The North won the sudden-death playoff on the first playoff hole. This year’s annual rivalry was hosted by the Women’s Southern California Golf Association as well as the Women’s Golf Association of Northern California and took place at the Santa Maria Country Club on Sunday July 19th.
Representing the South were:
Joan Higgins, Glendora
Cathy Lonegan, Las Posas
Linda Pearson, Oakmont
Colette Rosenberg, Riviera
Angela Collins, Oakmont
Leslie Wilk, Las Posas
Carol Sarkissian (Western Hills) was the Team Captain.
- A Rules official, marker and observer are assigned to each match
- The matches feature three teams each with two players from the South and two from the North
- The first two teams are arranged in index order based on the latest update
- The third team consists of senior players who can be of any index
- Four-Ball Match Play on holes 1-6
- Modified Scotch on holes 7-12
- Two-Person Scramble on holes 13-18
Each association selects their players based on their own criteria. WSCGA selected their players based on points earned from tournament events throughout the season.
Players are awarded points for placement in the following events:
- Desert Event
- Senior Championship
- Net Championship
- 36-Hole Tournament
- Tournament of Champions
Points are also awarded for playing in any WSCGA tournament throughout the year.
The bottom line: The more tournaments you play in, the more points you receive.