Aside from dressing up in hilarious (or hilariously scary) costumes, one of the best things about Halloween are the treats!
One of our favorite things to do with halloween treats is to turn them into even bigger treats!
As a special Halloween treat from us to you, we have a special recipe that will help use up all of that leftover candy (or maximize it, if you’re a glass half-full kind of person!).
Top tender, crumbly shortbread with whatever candy you have laying around and transform it into a delicious post-halloween delight!
- Yield Makes 16 bars
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons coarse salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, (spooned and leveled)
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups assorted chocolate candies or roughly chopped candy bars (12 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter, brown sugar, and salt on medium-high until light and fluffy, 3 minutes. With mixer on low, add flour in three additions and beat until combined (dough will be crumbly). Press dough evenly into an 8-inch square baking dish. Bake until golden brown and firm, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Scatter chocolate chips on top of shortbread. Bake until soft, 1 minute. With the back of a spoon, spread chocolate evenly over shortbread. Scatter candies over top. Let cool on a wire rack 30 minutes. Refrigerate briefly to set chocolate, then cut into 16 bars.
Do you have any sweet treats, funny customes or creative pumpkins you wish to share? Comment below!